Disability Sheffield offers a free, confidential and independent advocacy service for disabled people living in Sheffield. If you are having trouble getting the health or social care services that you need, we may be able to help you.
Here are examples of issues we can help you with:
• Getting your voice heard by the healthcare and social care practitioners working with you
• Supporting you by providing information and advocacy support on a range of issues that affect your ability to live your own life
• Speaking on your behalf if you want us to
• Letter writing, complaints procedures, preparing for and attending meetings, reviews and assessments
• Talking in confidence to someone who is independent of the NHS
• Protecting your rights and getting the right support and advice from other service providers if necessary
• Helping you get the services you need and helping services offer a more flexible and individual approach to meet your needs
• Supporting you if you want to make major changes , for example moving out of institutional care or the family home
• If you are assessed as not being eligible for care services looking at what other options are available for you
We accept self-referrals, or referrals from third parties. If you are referring someone else you need to make sure you have their permission first otherwise we will be unable to accept the referral.
You can download our referral form here
If you are not sure whether advocacy is the right service for you, please call us on 0114 2536750 to discuss it.
Once we have your referral there may be a short wait before we can allocate an advocate; if there is a reason that you need advocacy urgently then please let us know. Once an advocate has been allocated they will contact you and make an appointment, if you are unable to meet at our office we will visit you at home. Your advocate will work one to one with you on the issue that you have and will finish working with you once that piece of work comes to an end.
For information on Self Advocacy please click here